Monday, October 31, 2011

Nagoya | 名古屋 #2

A private trip to Nagoya continues....

This was my second day in the city, and my schedule was really full, so this will be a long post.

I first met my mentor, Hさん, for lunch. She reserved a really nice French restaurant for us, where we enjoyed a course meal.

This place was amazing! Outside the shop, the mood was very Japanese...

The inside reminded me of a French farmhouse...

Our course included so many gorgeous dishes..

Foire Gras!
Fish...
Meat...(I think it was pork?)
...and dessert of course! (caramel & vanilla ice cream)

My friend and I talked a lot about our secrets! ^_^ It was really great to see her and catch up again.

After lunch, I had to rush back to practice. My flute teacher booked a rehearsal in the hall. This was my life for the next 3.5 hours...non stop practicing and playing.

The view from the back of the hall:

The view from my stand:

After wrapping up, my flute teacher says: "Do you want to send your flute in for maintenance?" It was 18.30, so I was thinking: "Can the shop fix my flute and return it in time for rehearsals tomorrow?" My teacher was amazing here: she called the shop, reserved a time, and got the shop to guarantee my flute would be ready the next day. Wow!

I headed out to the Muramatsu shop in Imaike (Nagoya). I used to be a regular customer, but I was really shocked when the shop staff remembered me by name (!!). ^_^

Dropping off my flute for maintenance:

While taking the elevator up to the shop, I met a fellow passenger, also carrying a flute. I immediately pointed to his flute and said:
"わ〜同じ!” (Wow! We are the same!)
We chatted more and I learned his name was Yu (pronounced "you"). When he asked for my name, I thought I would make a joke and said: "Oh, my name is "Me". So, Yu and Me". (laugh!) He didn't laugh at all. Oh well. ^_^
We enjoyed chatting for about 20 minutes, and I asked him to join me in a photo...

At the Muramatsu Flute shop...
It's cool to meet fellow flute players. ^_^

After this, I met up with another friend for dinner. We went to an izukaya together. I'll save that for tomorrow. You'll finally learn about my Halloween costume...

The French restaurant was located in Hisaya-Odori, behind the Blosse building. Lunch set from ¥2,500/ person.
Muramatsu Flute have shops in Japan and abroad. Flutes, sheet music, CDs and lessons can be found here. You can also buy tickets to flute concerts and events. Once a year, they have a festival, in which you can try various flutes for free. I have been twice and got to play a flute once owned by James Galloway! ^_^ The Muramatsu Flute site is HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I understand that you felt sympathized with a guy who had the same flute as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. お疲れさまでした Takao san,

    Actually there are 2 interesting points:
    - Both Yu and I do not own Muramatsu flutes. His was a Powell. Mine is Sankyo.
    - Yu is only 19. He said he was studying how to fix/repair instruments.

    I was just surprised to see a guy who enjoys the flute.

    ReplyDelete