Tuesday, May 15, 2012

春の武士[haru no bushi] - part 10

This day was famous for strange weather. I had to get my driver's license renewed and on the way back, we were caught in a storm. Several prefectures over, in Tsukuba City, they experienced a rare tornado.

We dried off from the rain at a soba shop in the train station. I ate hot soba with tempura:

Later that night, Samurai announced: "I'm going to cook for you!" I was not allowed anywhere near the kitchen; I wasn't even allowed to peak at the food. Finally, when it was ready, I was surprised.

The full presentation:

A Chinese themed dinner with three great dishes -- fried rice, soup and 春さめ[harusame = "spring rain"]. The latter dish is clear, rice noodles in a broth. He cooked up eggplant and mixed it in with the noodles. It was so good -- I stopped talking and just focused on enjoying the delicious food. ^_^

close up of the fried rice:


close up of the "spring rain" dish:


We all know Samurai are excellent with swords, but who knew they cook so well too? ^_^ I'm so lucky!

If you are interested in making harusame, here are two English recipes (#1 and #2) describing the cooking method. Have fun and enjoy this healthy dish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment