Saturday, May 26, 2012

Travels in Thailand - Part 1

My brother and his girlfriend braved a 30 hour flight from Canada to visit me in Bangkok. It was their last chance before I move, so I was happy to act as host and guide; it was also a good chance for me to go out see more of the country I've called home for over 2 years now.

We booked a city tour and spent the morning visit several temples. This one, Wat Traimit -- best known as "The Temple of the Golden Buddha" -- was our first stop.

The temple is quite new and as we climbed the stairs, could witness some lovely artwork:

mosaics: 


bell: 


carving: 


At the top, four floors up, sat the Golden Buddha. It's very popular with tourists, so you had to fight for a photo. To avoid getting a shot of people's heads, I did the Mazda way -- zoom, zoom! This Buddha is solid gold and weighs about 5.5 tons (=530 kg).

The Golden Buddha: 


I really liked the window shutters, which featured elaborate carvings:
 
Information, entrance fees and more on this temple HERE. Learn the history and discovery of the Golden Buddha HERE. Access: Traimit Road (west of Hua Lampong Station), Chinatown. Take the MRT to Hua Lampong and walk. Open 08.00 -- 17.00 everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment