Tuesday, May 8, 2012

春の武士「haru no bushi」- part 7

This will be continued for several days, due to the amount of things I want to share with my readers.

Near the end of April, my birthday came. Last year, I didn't do anything special, but this year, my friend Samurai, who had invited me to come and visit Japan, wanted to treat me to a special day. It was all a surprise; I had no idea where we were going until I got to the train station and saw the ticket....


...Hakone! This region of western Kanagawa is famous for the views of Mt. Fuji. I had never been there, so was quite excited to spend my birthday hiking.

We rode the first train, a switch back train, (called Hakone Tozan Railway) up the mountain slowly, until reaching Gora, at a height of 553 meters. I loved this red train; the scenery passing by reminded me of Switzerland! ^_^ Enjoy the photos:

Inside the train:


View from the first switch back station:


Single track:


cutenekko rides up front again...


Approaching tunnel with sakura blossoms:


Signpost at Gora station:


cutenekko poses outside of the train at the end station:
haha...my jacket matches the train! ^_^
From this station, we switched to a cable car, which pulled us further up the mountain...

View from the front car...

cutenekko outside the cable car at the end station:

This trip was fun due to all the different modes of transportation we could take. At the end station of the cable car, we took a ropeway, climbing the last mountain to an active volcano. Enjoy the views!

Ropeway base station:
Watching this all I could think of was: when can I go skiing? ^_^

cutenekko inside the ropeway...

view from ropeway...

view of "hell" -- an active volcano below--the "cloud" you see is sulphuric gas:

I think that's enough for today. Please visit again tomorrow. I will show views from the top of this mountain, and take you on a boat cruise. ^_^ 

Hakone tourist information can be found HERE. The Hakone free pass is a great deal. The tickets can last for 2~4 days and cover all modes of transportation. You can also get discounts to enter museums and historical sites. Free pass information from the Odakyu train site, can be found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment