Wednesday, May 23, 2012

春の武士[haru no bushi] - part 13

...a trip to a famous temple continues...

Earlier, I introduced readers to a Japanese temple, Sumugawa ("cold river"). I came to this temple to receive special prayers for protection and to have a safe move.
View of halls and lanterns from the main gate:

After filling out the paperwork, I had to pay 3,000 yen (=$30), got a number and was told to wait in a room inside. There, I could enjoy free snacks and green tea. The room was filled with about 15 other people -- who also were to receive special prayers.

View of the main temple hall -- inside, I completed the ceremony.
When my number was called --- actually, the whole group of us were the same number -- we moved to the next area. Here, I received a white, kimono like robe with a purple rope. I had to put this on and then, washed my hands again (which is the custom before entering any sacred temple or shrine in Japan).

We were not allowed photos inside, so I researched and found some images. Using the images, I will explain the procedure:

1) Entering the main shrine, I sat down on a bench in front of the alter. It looked something like this:
(image courtesy of Google Images)
2) A monk chanted and shook a stick, full of papers, over all the members. This was for prayers. While the monk did this, we stood and bowed our heads.
(image courtesy of Google Images)
3) Next, the main monk chanted each person's name and their wish. The chanting was really neat! You can listen to it HERE. My name was called, along with my address, and my 2 wishes.

Above view is the inside of Sumugawa Temple. I completed the ceremony here.
4) After the chant finished, we were presented with a small tree branch which had white papers tied to them. We had to place these branches on a wooden shelf in front of the alter.
Example of tree branch (image courtesy of Google Images)
6) Finished! After exiting, we were presented with a bag of prayer goods that were to be placed inside the home. These items included:

  • main prayer card -- placed facing South in the home for protection. Made of wood, with a white paper tied around it. 
  • smaller prayer card -- carried in one's wallet for protection. 
  • small packet of soil -- meant to be placed on either side of the door of one's home, plus the four corners of the property. While placing the soil, you must repeat a short chant. 
  • two cookies
  • a pair of chopsticks
  • instruction booklet explaining what chants/ prayers need to be said and how to place the objects in the home
After the ceremony -- view looks from the main hall to the gate.
Samurai was impressed that I completed this distinctively Japanese ceremony. But, I had talked with my Japanese friends, and they had all done it as well, so I thought: "Why not?" I'm not very religious by nature, but exploring religion in different countries opens up more about the country's culture.
I hope my readers enjoyed the entire "Bushi" series.

This ceremony has a special name, but I forgot it. Sorry! Can my Japanese readers help?
**Additional** 
I really need to say a big "Thank you!" to Samurai and his mother for being so kind and acting as wonderful hosts. I really enjoyed my month long visit and am looking forward to returning soon. 本当にありがとうございました!

No comments:

Post a Comment