Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tokyo! | 東京 Day 4

My trip to Tokyo continues....

Day 4 already! I was busy in the morning & evening, but had the afternoon free to meet another Twitter friend, Mr. Tokyo. We've been chatting a lot on Skype recently, so it was good to finally meet him in person.

He picked the place -- a sweets cafe near Shinjuku station, Cafe Comme Ca. After going over the menu, he noticed one dish featured maple syrup from Canada. So, naturally, I ordered this. ^_^

My (Canadian) sweets:


..and a cold peach tea, which was surprisingly bitter:
Mr. Tokyo, who loves peaches, ordered a peach and mango tart (of course):
(The Red Bull was a gift from Thailand....)

The photo he took using his iPhone is much better. Please see it HERE.

Mr. Tokyo is pretty funny on Skype, but his 'live show' was even funnier. I enjoyed listening to his funny stories and teasing nature. I could relax and laugh a lot... ^_^

After asking "What's next?" he whipped out his iPad to suggest a park nearby, Shinjuku Gyoen. Inside, were many walking paths, ponds, a small lake, large trees and even a Japanese garden and a Taiwanese tea house. We spent about 2 hours walking around.

Walking...
A lake...

I really enjoyed this park for two reasons:
  • It's so neat that there is a huge park in a city filled with 35 million people, and,
  • It reminded me of parks in my hometown in Canada. It 'felt' like a Canadian experience.
This is Canada! (haha, not really...it's Shinjuku, Tokyo)

You can see Tokyo Tower in this photo...
My image of Tokyo being full of office buildings and concrete, changed after touring this park.

While walking, I took many more photos...

A passed out dad with son....
The Taiwan Tea House...
A Gothic/Lolita fashionable girl...
Many of my Bangkok friends said their image of Japanese people is "serious", which I completely disagree with. I hope these photos show just how relaxed Japanese people can be...Yes, they do work very hard, but outside of the office, they are so much fun to be around. Let's make more Japanese friends? (laugh) ^_^

**Special Message for Mr.Tokyo**
You are very funnyだよ! You remembered many things I wrote on Twitter & my blog. I was surprised about this point. The afternoon was very fun --thank you!

Cafe Comme Ca in Shinjuku is located on the 5th floor of the Comme Ca shop--map HERE. See the Cafe Comme Ca homepage HERE. Prices from ¥750 (300 baht/ $7). Shinjuku Gyoen is about a 5 minute walk from Shinjuku Station, South Exit. Entrance fee: ¥200/adult (80 baht/$2). See the wiki page HERE.

2 comments:

  1. This is interesting about the park in Shinjuku...

    "GYO means grand people (especially Emperor)
    EN means yard."
    -- explanation provided by Mr.Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This park was pretty impressive. I come back to this post quite often to enjoy the photos. ^_^ I ♡trees & water.

    ReplyDelete