Thursday, September 1, 2011

東京! | Tokyo! Day 1

September 1st finally arrived for my mini-trip to Tokyo. Yay! I have been away from Japan for 1.5 years; it's nice to be back in my 'other home'. ^_^

My flight departure time was 6.05 -- very early. I think I had too many things on my mind, so I could sleep only 1.5 hours before leaving my apartment. @_@
I got to the gate in Bangkok by 4.20am and waited...It filled up soon after I took this photo:

I flew a 'premium 747-400' (for you plane fans!) from BKK to NRT (Narita). This flight was due to continue onto San Francisco. The sun was just coming up we taxied out...

Once at Narita, I took took the Airport Limousine Bus to TCAT. Buses are very easy to use from the airport, and there are many traveling to Tokyo, Chiba and surrounding areas. The time was 1 hour to TCAT; I then switched to Tokyo Metro, taking the Hanzomon line to my hotel. It was easier than expected. ^_^

Inside the bus...
Inside Tokyo Metro (subway)...人が少ない。| There weren't many people inside...
I checked into my hotel and enjoyed the gorgeous view! You can see the grounds of the Imperial Palace on the left.
I was too hungry to go out and explore, so I ate at the hotel's 'Patio' restaurant. I ordered Seafood Curry, which came with so many extras!

Mushroom soup and salad...
...pickles...
...and seafood curry with rice. ^_^
I also ordered a ginger ale as a treat to myself..
The view from this restaurant was very nice too. We can enjoy lots of trees and greenery here.
My view...
My hotel reservation doesn't include breakfast, so I visited a convenience store to get some things. While walking, I notice two things:
  • The streets and sidewalks are really wide & so clean! It's also easy to walk! In Bangkok, you have to keep your eyes moving everywhere to avoid falling, tripping or hitting your head on things... It made me laugh while walking when I thought about this.

A sidewalk in Tokyo..

  • The streets are so quiet! I went out after 18.00, and was shocked how quiet the cars, the people, everything is. Bangkok is always noisy, with sounds coming from cars, scooters, police whistles, etc. Being back in Japan is like attending church...you become afraid of being 'shhh-ed' by others. I became afraid to make noise myself and soon started walking very softly. This too, made me laugh.
I bought the following at the コンビニ(convenience store):
  • a rice ball
  • choco chip mochi bread ^_^
  • milk coffee
  • fruit juice
  • apple yogurt
On the way back, I spotted an old, traditional Japanese house, tucked between the modern buildings...

I plan to take a nice bath and go to bed early. See you again tomorrow! I hope to travel to Nagoya...weather permitting. Japan is experiencing a strong typhoon currently, which is bringing heavy rain to all areas.

8 comments:

  1. I will add a comment for Anna-Lise: I DID eat everything in the curry and rice set! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tokyo metro looks very empty!!! I thought they need helping hands to push people in and out?

    How is the weather? It looks chilly.

    Many greetings from hot and hazy and crowded Bangkok ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So funny, those differences you notice once you've spend a lot of time in Thailand. I keep on tripping on the sidewalks over here, especially after the rain.. I'm always getting my feet wet by one of the loose tiles on the street! Grr. They just 'pop' up, right?! Have a lovely time dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corgi!
    Yeah, I was surprised too. My image of Tokyo trains is: always crowded. I rode the train around16.30...
    I'll go to Tokyo Station this morning...it will be busy, so I will get a photo for you!

    The weather IS a bit chilly! Yesterday I was shivering (laughing). I didn't pack a sweater. During the daytime, it's very humid, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Saar!

    The sidewalks! I know, it's something only we who live in dangerous Bangkok would notice. I thought it was funny that I didn't have to worry about watching my feet and I could focus on looking around. ^_^

    We're expecting a lot of rain this afternoon from a typhoon, so I will probably get my feet wet today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to add the prices...

    The dinner at 'Patio' was ¥1,500 (500 Baht) -- not too bad I thought.

    The convenience store food was ¥700 (233 Baht).

    I booked the hotel via Agoda. The cost is ¥6,000/night (2,000 Baht).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha Sel. I wasn't even thinking of that, but thanks. I was thinking that it must be nice to be in a place of peace and quiet after all the hustle and bustle of BKK. I also really like the picture of the traditional house. Cheers, AL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anna-Lise,

    Someone told me that Tokyo has 35 million people. But for some reason, they are all so quiet. I heard one car beep its horn today..and everyone jumped. (laugh) I guess even Japanese people are used to the quiet....^_^

    ReplyDelete