Saturday, September 3, 2011

Japanese Friends | 日本からの友達

My former hairdresser in Japan recently moved to Bangkok. We have a nice history together--we traveled to Kyushu by train, held a barbecue in the park, enjoyed "girl talks", and challenged eating beef sushi together. My friend, M, and her husband came over to my apartment one Friday morning to hang out.

I had been waiting since February for her to come and cut my hair. I love her hairdressing style...she gave me a great new look. Yay! ^_^
The front...
...the back.
While cutting, her husband, Mr. Y, mentioned that Masaman Curry was ranked as the world's best food, by CNN writers. He suggested we go out and try. I researched the shop, and off we went.
This is Masaman Curry:

This curry is from Southern Thailand. It is filled with lamb meat, as it is a Muslim dish. The taste was not spicy at all, but full of flavor and complexity. Very nice!

Next, I suggested to my friends to challenge the ghost house (お化け屋) at Mansion 7. We bought our tickets and waited about 20 minutes to enter....

The outside of the haunted house:
Inside, Mr. Y led the way, with his wife behind, and I at the rear. We screamed a lot. I won't reveal to you what is inside, but I will say a few things:
  • Before entering, they do a body scan (!)
  • High heels are not permitted inside. Staff will provide you with Croc shoes to wear.
  • You must hold a rope while walking through -- some rooms are completely black, and you will have to "feel" your way to the exit.
  • When you enter a room, the door you entered from closes, preventing you from turning back!
  • There is a long list of rules (provided in English) and some include: "No children under 13" and "If you become too scared, put your hand up and a staff member will come and assist you." Also, "Do not cause panic" and "No person suffering from physical or emotional stress is allowed inside." Whoa. o_O
They recently opened a Part II here, and it's even scarier than the house we entered. I hope you will try!

Masaman Curry can be enjoyed at Lemongrass, Sukhumvit Soi 24. BTS Phrom Phong. 350 Baht. Dark Mansion is at Mansion 7. MRT Huai Kwang. 150 Baht per person.

9 comments:

  1. Before coming to Tokyo, I sent an email to my friend, saying:
    "I need to go to the ghost house to relax". I had been feeling a bit tired from all my preparations and busy work schedule...

    My friend replied:
    "Only YOU think going to a scary house is relaxing!!" ^_^ Haha. True true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Sel,
    So long as there are no demons possessing people I am in. You will have to take me there for sure. AL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna-Lise,

    There are no demons...and I would be happy to take you. 150 baht = $4 CAD. Cheap eh?

    Did I send you the photo of my friends and I screaming inside? I'll send it by email...it's waaaaaay too embarrassing to put on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 日本「から」ね♡From Japan

    ReplyDelete
  5. 東京楽しんでいますか?
    私は まいにち せりちゃんの マンション 見ています;;  
    2日 荷物 とどきましたか??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be on the lookout for that e-mail. I would love to skype with you sometime soon. I have so much to share. Wanna set a date? How about Tuesday morning your time, Monday night my time? AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nina!!! やった!ブログで来た!嬉しいです。。^_^ 私の文法が間違えて、正しいのは:日本から友達ね?ありがとう!もう〜東京で日本語の学校に行くのはいいんじゃないと今の考え事。

    *******************************************

    Hello コクーンさん!そ、荷物が来たよ。ちょっと重いけど、自分のsuitcaseに入れて、問題ないです。^_^ ストラートパムしよう!^_^ Happy!

    ************************************

    Hello Anna-Lise,
    For you, I will switch to English! ^_^ (giggle) I wish I could write in French; wouldn't that be cool??
    Okay, I will send you the photo of me screaming in the ghost house. Trust me, it's soooooooo funny. I couldn't stop laughing for maybe 5 minutes. I look really funny in the photo.
    I can Skype with you Tuesday morning my time. That's perfect for me actually. This morning, I am off to the Thai Embassy to update my visa. Wish me luck. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waaa....I have so many nice friends everywhere it seems -- Bangkok, Japan and Canada. I am so lucky. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am wondering why this blog post has become so popular recently? Is is the haircut?? ^_^

    ReplyDelete