Friday, September 16, 2011

Tokyo! | 東京 Day 7 (Part 1)

My trip to Tokyo continues...

On this day, I planned a "me" day -- doing things on my own. I needed to do some business at the bank and then it was off to please my beer-loving brother, by visiting a micro-brewery. ^_^

Did you know Bangkok Bank has two branches in Japan? There is one in Osaka, and another in Tokyo. The location was in Shimbashi, which is a famous drinking area for Japanese salaryman (business men).

Shimbashi station:
I walked from here to Bangkok Bank. The staff lady I spoke with was super nice! Her Japanese was so clear and easy to understand; she said she was impressed with my Japanese. I could complete some paperwork here and fix an account -- all in Japanese. I love languages! ^_^

The bank:

Next up, I had to move to the the beer place. According to the map, I needed to take the Tokyo Monorail. It was a little difficult finding the monorail station, as it was inside an old shopping mall. Finally, I found it.

Inside the train:

This monorail travels to Haneda airport too. The view from the monorail was superb! It reminded me of the Skytrain in Bangkok:
I got off at Tennoz Isles, which is home to TY Harbor Brewery -- a restaurant/ micro-brewery in the heart of Tokyo! I found this shop on the internet. Thank you Google! (laugh)

I didn't have a reservation, but was able to get a seat at the bar, on the terrace outside. ^_^ The joy of being a single girl = fast service! (laugh)

The view from my seat (center):
..and to the right:

I decided to splurge and ordered the "special plate lunch", which included many things...

salad...

...bread

...and the main dish: grilled pork, with vegetables and mashed potatoes!!! ^_^/....oh sheep..and tomatoes. I ate one. (>_<)

Of course, I had to try the beer. After speaking with the bartender, he recommended I try the "Special Ale" which he said, had a base of TOMATO! o_O I told him (in Japanese): "Well, I really hate tomato, but I think I have to try this."

Preparing...

My small glass:
After finishing that, I decided to try one more. After all, I was (sorta) on holiday! ^_^ I ordered a small Pale Ale, as this is quite popular in the Maritimes (east coast of Canada). I enjoyed the pouring...

..and serving. ^_^

I felt a little drunk after this, so I ordered a coffee to wake up. (laugh) While drinking, I enjoyed the Tokyo canal view from the terrace...

Before leaving, I spoke with the Brew Master, a chubby guy who reminded me of my dad. I snapped photos of the beer tanks and asked if I could take a few bottles home as a gift? He said sure, and helped me pick out three. I sent this to a friend...

The tanks:

Takeout beer:

Outside the restaurant is a boardwalk along the canal. It was a beautiful spot for a walk, so I walked. ^_^ It was also a good way to sober up from the beer... (laugh)

View 1:

View 2:
Please stop by again tomorrow; I'll show you where I went next...

TY Harbor Brewery is located at Tennoz Isles station on the Tokyo Monorail. Site is listed in the blog post. Prices from ¥900 (300 baht/ $9). There are 6 different kinds of beer available for tasting. Reservations are required -- it's a very popular place.
Bangkok Bank is located near Shimbashi Station. JR or Tokyo Metro. Website is HERE.

5 comments:

  1. One point from this day...

    - The Tokyo Monorail is a great way to see the harbor front and Tokyo skyline. I recommend just jumping on and riding it all the way to Haneda and back. I want to try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah it all looks so beautiful! I want to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Saar,

    This area in particular was my favorite. See the tall condo buildings in the canal picture? My dream: to live there. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd come and visit if you would, for sure! (but first, I'll go to your homecountry!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please visit. It would be cool to have my friends from Bangkok come and visit me in Japan. ^_^ That would make me so happy.

    I don't recommend Canada in the winter -- unless you like staying in your room for 3 days straight. (laugh)

    In Tokyo, a friend asked me a really hard question: "If you could live anywhere in the world, but NOT Canada and NOT Japan, where would you live?" My answer was: Japan, but after thinking, I feel.....

    ....I think I can be happy living anywhere. I only need a few things: an apartment with a view, friends, and a reliable internet connection ^_^

    I want to know Saar's answer to the same question... ^_^

    ReplyDelete