Monday, November 28, 2011

Ex Pat Home Party

When I returned from Japan, I helped a friend organize a home party. The purpose was just to meet and make new friends. We had a rule: bring at least one friend, more if possible. I brought two!

Ms. UK and my Twitter friend, Wegotogether
(we finally met face-to-face...yay!) ^_^
The party was held at my interior designer's amazing condo. About 20 women from a variety of countries attended -- US, UK, Norway, Germany, Holland and one Canadian (me!).
We munched on guacamole and tortilla chips, veggies and sparkling wine. That wine gave me a nasty headache after I got home... o_O

I met so many great ladies, all of whom who have been living overseas for 5 years or more. As someone who has lived abroad for 13 years now, it's hard to talk about my experiences with those who have never lived in another country. One woman best explained it:

"Friends back home think our lives are so glamorous. We live in this tropical country, have a big condo, with a pool and gym, and they think 'How lucky!' The truth is that we are very lonely. If you are married, you spend 90% of your time alone. Your husband is always busy working 80+ hours a week. When you want to talk about your problems, most don't understand."

Ladies from Texas & Germany:

To keep from feeling lonely, I try to surround myself with things that keep me happy. This includes good friends, a comfortable home, and conversation. I think that is the key to happiness -- no matter where you live -- great conversation.

In Japan, there is a phrase: "My Boom". This relates to something that you enjoy doing. My boom is: conversation. My favorite memories now are conversations I've had with friends over Skype, or in a cafe-- usually past midnight. Without good friends & great conversation, I think I would have given up on this suitcase life a long time ago.
So, to my friends & family who entertain me with your stories -- in Germany, Canada, Japan, and Bangkok --thank you so much!

To those who feel lonely --- host a home party! Invite friends & have fun. I will make hosting a home party my "boom". ^_^ Come and join me!

2 comments:

  1. Please invite me next time you hold a party! Is it okay to attend via skype?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Takao,

    Dec. 22 is my home X-mas party. Will you be attending? Please bring 1 friend. ^_^

    (via Skype = sure!)

    ReplyDelete