Friday, November 11, 2011

Tokyo | 東京 Part 2

An extended holiday to Japan continues...

I have been to Yokohama several times before, but a newly opened museum deserved a visit: the Cup Noodles museum. There is some English explanation, but it's very limited. Basically, this museum is for Japanese fans of Nissin Cup Noodle. Still, the exhibits are uniquely designed and that alone is worth the visit.

When you enter, you'll first see a huge hall filled with cup noodles. I was impressed with the variety!

Wall of Ramen:

I found some Thai flavored noodles...
There were many hidden/cute designs around the museum...
A large wall mural explaining the history of Momofuku Ando, the "father of instant ramen", had many unique and fun pencil sketches! I really enjoyed this display.

Go Go chickens! (His first invention was "chicken ramen")
The discovery of "cup noodles":
I found another display which showed Cup Noodles around the world. This part was really interesting for me; I didn't know that the Nissin Food company created flavors specific to some countries.

Different countries...different cups:
Thai Cup Noodles. (The cup's writing says: "Cup Nuudole") 本当!
I found that Canadians don't eat a lot of Cup Noodles... Too bad. (the larger cups are for the U.S and Mexico)
The next time I travel, I will be sure to look for uniquely flavored ramen found only in that country. ^_^

***Special Bonus!***
The Art/ Creative Director of this museum was Kashiwa Sato. He has also created ads for UniQlo, Rakuten, SMAP, 7-11, and more. After seeing this museum, I have become a fan. ^_^ His website is HERE.

Cup Noodles Museum is located in Yokohama. Access: 8 minutes walk from Minatomirai station. Entrance fee: ¥500/ adults, all children (up to high school age) free. Open 10.00~18.00

No comments:

Post a Comment