Sunday, November 27, 2011

Phantom Live at the Royal Albert Hall

I belong to a meet up group on the net, whose main interest is gathering together to see interesting films. On a Friday, a small group of us met to see a rare event -- a recorded performance of The Phantom of the Opera, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of this musical. The show was recorded live from the Royal Albert Hall in London.

I had seen this production live in Toronto -- twice. But, I was not prepared for the great detail shown in the film. You see everything...close ups of the actor's faces, details of their costumes, sweeping views of the hall, etc... Honestly, it was perfect.
I snuck one photo during the intermission...

This production should be seen for one reason only -- John Owen-Jones -- who played the Phantom. His voice is pitch perfect. I also felt he portrayed all the mixed emotions of the Phantom very well. I'm a very difficult person to impress, but he was...impressive! (laugh)
His homepage is HERE.

The only downside? It's quite long. My friends and I spent about 3.5 hours at the theatre, which included the 20 minute intermission. By the time I got home, it was close to 1am...o_O Oh well...lately, I am turning in a night owl. Woo woo.
Not yet sleepy in the lobby...
My Twitter friend also wrote a nice post about her experience watching this film. Her post has loads of pictures, so I recommend you visit! Please go HERE (post is titled: "7 in 7: Vibes & Fun")

The Phantom of the Opera was broadcast live in over 250 theaters in the UK on Oct.2nd. This version is that broadcast. It's available on DVD and Blu-Ray now. Highly recommended for fans!
This film was shown in the Siam Paragon theater, 300 baht (¥900 / $9) per person. BTS Siam. Website is HERE.
This film was also showing in the ultra-fancy Nokia Ultra Screens theatre. Click HERE to see! You'll be amazed at the service in Thailand! Tickets for this theatre? 1,000 baht per person (¥3,000/$30). Have I been? No!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! I loved how close 'we' could get, especially how it showed all the emotion in their eyes - the tears, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Saar,

    That surprised me the most too -- the tears in Christine's eyes! I didn't think the actors got *that* much into character. It was pretty amazing, wasn't it?

    ...and you're welcome about the link. I really liked your post. Especially the last pic of Raoul swinging her around. That part made me laugh out loud in the theater. I was waiting for him to let go and toss her!

    ReplyDelete