Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tokyo | 東京 Part 7

Travels in Tokyo continue....

This was my last full day in the city. I met my financial advisor for a coffee and business chat, then wondered: "What's next?"

I found two things that looked interesting: a book market and a music instrument area.

The first stop: Kanda Second hand books area. I had heard of this area several months before, so I was happy to finally be able to check it out. I was lucky, they were having a festival! ^_^

Street vendors selling books:
This is a mecca for lovers of rare, second hand printed books. No digital Kindle users can be found here. (laugh) This market is best if you can read Japanese -- I did not see any English or other language books.

I walked to my second location: Music instrument area. The majority of shops are electronic guitar shops. I had expected to see more wind and brass instruments, but the only classical instruments I found were violins. I did enjoy looking at some really expensive and antique classical guitars in this shop:

Dr. Sound (Sorry, no photos were allowed inside)
I walked a little further up to find several universities: Nihon and Meiji. I was really starting to enjoy the area, so I walked a little more. I found a Russian Orthodox church--Holy Resurrection Church. The Wiki page is HERE.

Outside the church (no photos were allowed inside):

This area left such an impression on me, it's at the top of my "favorites" list for places to live in Tokyo. What is the area? Ochanomizu! Please visit. It's a really vibrant area. ^_^

JR station entrance:

Kanda Second Hand book area is located near Jimbocho station. Tokyo Metro, Shinjuku/Mita/Hanzomon lines. Info HERE. Music instrument area is located a short walk from either Jimbocho or Ochanomizu stations (Tokyo Metro, Marunouchi Line). Info HERE.

Holy Resurrection Church is located in Ochanomizu. Access: Tokyo Metro to Ochanomizu station. There are signs showing the way -- walk only 2 minutes from the station. Visitors must make a donation to enter; English information packets are available. Donors will receive a candle, which they can light and place near the alter. Very nice!

3 comments:

  1. You like a real tour guide! You've elaborated the area very specifically! Hope you can find a good place to live at reasonable price in the area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Takao,

    ooo...nice word 'elaborated'. ^_^

    I'd make a good tour guide? Thanks. Maybe I should try and apply to work for Hato bus then. I really like walking around, finding unique places and sharing them with people.

    It's fun to see the 'hidden spots' in countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I found a really cool second hand CD/record shop near Jimbochou station too. I spent 20 minutes looking at CDs there. ^_^

    ReplyDelete