Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Titanium Club/Ice Bar & Loi Krathong

I was lucky that this year, my usual day off work coincided with one of the biggest holidays in Thailand -- Loi Krathong. This holiday is celebrated in November, during the full moon. It is to send away one's bad luck and wish for good luck in the upcoming New Year. This year's Loi Krathong was held on November 10th.

I had to attend a meeting first, but I could see the festival going on from BTS Phrom Phong station.

Festival view:
After attending my Linguists meeting, a member invited me to visit an ice bar nearby. It was at this bar, I got to take a picture holding the elaborate Krathong offering. These are floated on the water, as one's bad luck is said to "float away". It's pretty, no?

cutenekko + Krathong:

This bar also had a pretty good live band. They played mainly rock and R&B...

The band, Unicorn:
I headed upstairs to check out the ice bar. It was like stepping into a large walk-in refrigerator. The bar was completely made of ice!

Bar:
Here, you had to do a shot of Vodka, but there were many different flavors: strawberry, mint, tutti frutti, etc. I tried strawberry but could only sip it, not down it. The bartender gave me a look like: "Hurry up! I'm cold!". It's interesting to note: this bar does not give you any warm coats or blankets. You walk in as you are. On this day, I was just wearing a small T-shirt. I was shivering!!

There is another Ice Bar in Bangkok, and I'd like to try that one too. It was interesting and yes, it did remind me of Canada! (laugh)

Titanium Club & Ice Bar is located on Sukhumvit Soi 22. BTS Asoke. No cover charge to watch the band. Ice bar costs 200 Baht (¥600 / $6) for one shot. Website is HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment