Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tokyo | 東京 Part 5

More travels in the big city continue...

I met a friend for lunch. We went to a traditional Japanese restaurant in Ginza. I was so happy to eat Japanese food!

I enjoyed...

サシミ!(raw fish)

Rice, miso soup & some small dishes...

dessert No.1...

...and dessert No.2 (laugh)

After lunch, I went to visit two famous universities in Tokyo -- Keio and Waseda. These two universities are considered to be the oldest in Japan, so it's worth a visit if you enjoy history.

Keio is quite beautiful and reminded me of my uni in Canada. The buildings were very traditional...

If you know Japanese money, this guy is on the ¥10,000 bill:

His name is Fukuzawa Yukichi. He was the founder of Keio university, which officially opened as a university in 1858.

I took a bus to get to Waseda. By the time I got there it was getting dark and raining, so I couldn't get clear pictures. Using Google images, here is what it looks like during the daytime:

Famous church (Students who pass the entrance exam often take photos here)

Main Campus:
Waseda was founded by Shigenobu Okuma, a lover of science and culture, over 129 years ago.

If you are curious, you can visit my Canadian university's website HERE. My university is also quite old -- it was established in 1843. This year, it was ranked the #1 undergraduate university in Canada -- for the 15th time. Yay my school! ^_^

Waseda University's English site is HERE. Access: Tokyo Metro, Tozai line to Waseda. There is also a bus from Takadanobaba, if you are using the JR Yamanote line. Keio University is located in Minato. I forgot how I got there. (laugh) I'll check with a friend and get back to you in the comments. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you love so many Japanese food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Takao,

    Me too! I love all things Japanese these days..^_^

    ReplyDelete